Sunday, September 16, 2012

Summer 2012, July, August, Indiana - HOT! and DRY!

It was very hot and dry, trees and flowers dying, water restrictions, fire burning bans.....but - in A Quiet Southern Indiana Backyard ... not so much!
I resisted watering for quite some time.  Watching the birds sit with their beaks gaping wide open - looking so much like Edvard Munch's 'The Scream', trying to exchange some heat, no water around, poor little cardinals losing their head feathers, looking like tiny vultures....I admit it - I caved.   I couldn't take it....and launched my sprinklers!
Photobucket

Two happy birds, the Indigo Buntings even stayed around.  Little boy Bunting is hanging with the Cardinal, enjoying the sprinkler.   He has little blue patches on his shoulders and should turn all blue next year.  Meanwhile - I made sure his pecan sized self stayed hydrated!

Photobucket

It continued to 'rain' every evening - kind of like Camelot for Cardinals.  I added a hanging bird bath that even the bees buzzed...landing on the wet parts and then taking off again.  Cardinals and Titmouses all lined up on the fence to catch the water and then take off - zooming back through the water it as it wafted away from them.   The Chickadees and Finches just hopped in the birdy bath and had a nice drink and a romp. The Quiet Southern Indiana Backyard was a happy and busy place about 8:00 p.m. every evening!

Photobucket

Feathers mostly grew back in. Now all we have to do is get through winter.

Photobucket

I wonder how much an outdoor heater costs....

No comments: