Monday, January 23, 2012

Birds....now beads! For the Beady Eyed Bunch!

It has been quite some time since I have posted anything Beady-like. How many crocheted and Ndebele bracelets can you look at? I have to admit, the shield earrings are cool and there will be more of them but no need to post them here - just the colors changes.

Wait - one more Ndebele!
Photobucket
Quite different! A little spice added to the now familiar stitch!

So what is new? I am so happy to show you!
Photobucket
First - the problem: I often have 3 or 4 beady projects going at one time, all lined up on my table. I keep my thread/nymo/fireline very long because I don't like having to stop and add new thread/nymo/fireline. Some beaders use shorter lengths and don't have to stop and untangle as much. I like a good tangle and I am good at untangling!
Unfortunately, when I went back to a project it was very hard to find the needle at the end of that length of thread. Then several threads for several projects became tangled. Then Mini the nosy Chihuahua girl became entangled in a couple of them. Time to do something - thus, the Needle Finder (aka pincushion) was born!
Very small - about 1 1/2 inches - here is a quarter next to the first one I made:

Photobucket

Each project has it's own colurful needle finder - so I can find the needle! I could have used several regular pincushions and/or a brightly colored piece of cloth but where would be the fun in that? This is more congruent.
Photobucket

I found the patterns years ago on Suzanne Cooper's website. They are part of her Really Really Round Peyote Mandala necklace patterns.
http://www.bead-patterns-24-7.com/e-books-beads-round.html

There is a whole lot more to her website - this link takes you directly to her Really Really Round Peyote designs - and check out those little hats! In other pages she has small boxes, even a shoebox.
Here is another one I have made- Flames:
Photobucket

The pattern for these is similar to the very first pattern you learned - the round peyote Christmas earring! That was a beginning pattern, this is a fairly advanced pattern, needing pretty darned good pattern reading skills!
Photobucket

Happy Beading! I hope we can have a Vernal Equinox beady celebration - doesn't get much more exciting than beading and standing eggs on their ends!

No comments: