Friday, July 16, 2010

Mostly stuff for the Beady-Eyed Bunch

Mostly beads.....

First, remember the pattern I posted a couple of days ago? Well - never mind - ended up not liking it. It was too 'wobbly' and the connecting beads weren't symmetrical. It was just...not right.
Here was my attempt, I did this much and realized it wasn't what I wanted.

Photobucket

Photobucket

This is more what I am looking for - I've had this for years - I remember having it in 1988 when I came back from Alaska and was working evenings at the VA. I don't think I got it in AK, though, I think it was made somewhere in the Middle East.
Photobucket

I remember at the time thinking I should sit down and figure out the path of the thread. When I transported a patient down to Anchorage I would spend time until my plane left to scour shops for new beadwork, take it back home to my village, then we would sit around and figure out how it was made and make our own. There weren't many patterns and books readily available back then, none of them in an Eskimo village in the Arctic. The Internet and email hadn't come along, either.
Photobucket

I guess I just got lazy - I know I've seen this pattern for a daisy but can't remember where....if I can't find it I suppose I will have to pull this one apart to figure out how the thread runs. Or.....maybe some young and sharp-eyed Beady-Eyed Beader (like Bonani and Vickie?) will figure it out and teach ME! Good idea!

Photobucket

And, more on beads, kind of, I found my Hula Poppers! Now all I need to do is design something around them. Good thing I have had a tetanus shot in the last 10 years because I want to leave the hooks on. My good friend Jill made me update my tetanus when I lived in Georgia, Bless her heart. I think she made something up, like it was mandatory for all new hospital employees. I think she made a lot of things up to get people to do the right thing!
Photobucket

On to non-beady stuff.....
Can you believe Mini is laying in the sun on hot wood in 90+ degree heat? The deck was so hot I couldn't walk on it and Mini was basking..
Photobucket

I still haven't power washed the darn thing. The deck - not Mini. Although she could use a power washing. She likes to roll in anything that smells 'interesting' from a dryer fabric softener sheet to absolutely unmentionable and horrid smelling things that I end up washing off of her at midnight!

And this is just an interesting little fellow who came skuttling by when I was taking pictures on the deck....I've never seen a bug looking exactly like him - thought he was an interesting color and pattern. He scurried up the table and watched me for awhile then went on about his business.
Photobucket

No comments: