Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Beadwork and Buddhism?

Today I went over to the Tibetan Mongolian Buddhist Cultural Center. It is a most fascinating place! Here is some information from the website:

The TMBCC is located on 108 acres of ground in the southeast corner of Bloomington, Indiana. Located on our property is the Kumbum Chamtse Ling Monastery, a Cultural Building, 2 traditional Tibetan Stupas (Tib. Chorten), 4 Retreat Cottages, a Teaching Pavilion, and 2 private residences.

The monastery is a result of the vision of Thubten Norbu (Tagtser Rinpoche) who was determined to promote interfaith dialogue in the Bloomington, Indiana area and, indeed, throughout the world.

and the link in case you would like to check it out yourself:
You will have to copy and paste the link into your web browser - I don't know why my links aren't working all of a sudden!
http://www.tmbcc.net/info/index.asp

What does this have to do with beadwork? I went to see if this man was around!

Photobucket
He is a fellow who is well known for his beading in the Native American culture as well as Buddhist.
Another link for you - to an article about him in the Bloomington newspaper:
Again - copy and paste into your web browser, sorry for the inconvenience!
http://www.examiner.com/x-40234-Hoosier-Travel-Examiner~y2010m6d21-Man-Creates-Tibetan-Thangkas-Displayed-in-Bloomington-Indiana-To-Learn-the-Secret-of-Patience

Would you believe he was standing in the hallway when I walked into the Cultural Center? And came up to ask me if he could help me find anything? Wow! So I told him I came to meet him and handed him the newspaper article. So cool. He was very nice, we talked for quite some time, his Thankas (pronounced kind of like Tonka) hang in the Temple so we drove up there and I got to see and feel these amazing pieces of beadwork! How does he make them? Just like the barrettes I've shown you and just like the flat beadwork on my winter gloves - no differently but much more skillfully.

Of course there are pictures! First a picture inside the temple itself - the two pictures to the far right and far left are the beaded Thangkas - completely beads, nothing else.
Photobucket
A close up of his beadwork - this is the one I liked best - wish I could remember what she is called! This is done entirely with beads - exactly like the ones we use and in size 11's!
Photobucket
If anyone knows what she is call please let me know. I knew I should have written that down!

The one of the red lady is on the right side of the first picture and this one is on the left - all in beadwork, size 11:
Photobucket

Another picture of the red lady:
Photobucket

Amazing. He thinks he will teach a class in the Fall. I will be there if he does!

No comments: