Sunday, February 6, 2011

For the Beady Eyed Bunch - Flat Ndebele

You had round Ndebele and now flat Ndebele! I used the beads recommended by the pattern - size 8 Hex beads - just like the ones we used on the Lacey Daisy bracelets many moons ago. I was happy to find another pattern that used them and even happier I didn't have to order new beads for a new pattern! Like the first Ndebele round pattern, though, you could use any size or shape of bead. This is quite a wide bracelet and I would rather have had a narrower one. But the big beads made it go quickly and were a good choice for the first trial. This pattern was created by the same lady, Carole Ohl, that created the Lacey Daisy Pattern. She has quite a few patterns. If you use this link and search by designer you can see all of her patterns: http://www.bead-patterns.com/shop/shop.php

Photobucket

Many things went wrong when I was weaving this, my first, flat Ndebele
Photobucket

I specifically draw your attention to the use of the toggle - the round part is fine. HOWEVER, if you use just one row of beads close to the bar part of the toggle you will find you can't get the toggle closed when you have completed your piece. Why? Because the use of one bead won't let the bar fold back and then slip through the circle. Then you cry a little bit, get out your pliers, bend the bar hoping you can somehow make it go through... and then get up the courage to rip out the Fireline you used.. back to a spot where you can add more Fireline then finish with 2 beads and really could have used 3!
Photobucket

You also learn that you don't know how to create the same direction when you rip out and try to add thread. Oh well! Live and learn. I'm not showing the 'hole' that was created when I added thread and re-wove the end...I will bring the completed piece to the Beady Eyed Bunch Vernal Equinox celebration in March.
Photobucket

Otherwise, like with the round Ndebele, I found it to be an easy stich but it takes time as there is a lot of weaving to get the herringbone pattern.
Photobucket

Happy Beading!

No comments: