Monday, August 3, 2009

Yes, we have no tomatoes!

I heard some sad news this weekend. The Herald-Times here in Bloomington reported that very few tomatoes in southern Indiana would be ripening this year. 'They' say that the weather has been too cloudy and rainy, with not enough sunshine and heat, to ripen the tomatoes. I guess we will see. This is my very first year growing tomatoes. Above is the tomato plant that I grew from a little $1 item purchased from Target (you get the tiny pot, seeds, and dirt all for $1!). I am so proud it has so many tomatoes. I will be sad if they don't ripen. At least I know know how to grow the darned things so I will be planning for next year.
But I can see how they will look: I colored these tomatoes with my little photo editing program just to see what they would look like if they did ripen! They look almost good enough to eat right now. Given that I am not the steadiest person in the world I think they came out pretty well.
Here they are as they appear right now - dreaming their little tomato dreams of when they grow up... Oh well. At least Mom loaded me down with tomatoes from their garden yesterday. They were wonderful Indiana tomatoes - nothing like them!

No comments: