Saturday, June 20, 2009

Summer Time

I have lots of pictures to post - especially since I haven't posted any for the last 3 weeks. What can I say? I work and drive. But I am taking a couple of days off and I will be able to catch up! It is hard telling who might show up here.

First, a picture of my backyard from the deck this morning - it's blurry (of course) but still kind of shows why I drive from Bloomington to Indy every day! Mini, of course, is on point.

I inspected my 'garden' - a tomato plant that kind of fell over last night. My basil is getting a little eaten up by something, my two Rosemary plants are doing very well and I have added a little lavender to harden up so I can plant it in my back yard.


A few of my house plants are tucked in a corner (beside Rocky & Mini's doggy door) to be out of the sun and still get some good light. Unfortunately, my big Jade plant got a pretty good case of sunburn before I noticed it was too far out on the deck. They will have to go back inside in a couple of weeks because it will get too hot. Won't that puzzle the bugs that have taken up residence?!

The row of hostas at the tree line is doing well - thank goodness. Planting them was a lot of work! I have to finish the mulching over the black plastic and move some Lilly of the Valley in front of them today. My Lilly of the Valley in the front of the house has overgrown it's bed and is moving on into the yard so I will need to move a fair amount of it to join the hostas in their new homes.

And an update on Operation Begone Box o' Wood....it's looking good! The grasses (coin grass) I got at Kroger last fall and planted them before it got cold - they are still small but very healthy and came up well this spring. Last weekend I planted the Korean Spice Viburnum in between each grass. I should grow well and nicely disguise Box o' Wood in the next couple of years. It has been a lot of work I hadn't planned on doing until my new neighbors built BoW (Box o' Wood) last fall - grrrrrrr. However, it will be 'poof' gone someday!
And on the other side of the back fence - the other BoW. My corner is starting to come along - the daylillies I moved from the woods to the corner survived and the tall grass that almost died last summer came back. I have pounded in a border around them and will put down newspaper, landscape cloth, and then mulch. My theory is that all of that will grow around the green thing and hide it. the little white wire fence is hiding my sweet grass, basil, chives, and a basil from Rocky. I put a lavender plant in there but it isn't happy at all. Next year I will plant two white lilac bushes against that BoW and intersperse Russian Sage in between them. I have a couple of Russian Sage planted this year and I will see if they will grow in this clay soil and come back next year.

The daylillies (some from last year and some from year before last) are doing well with the blackeyed susans and the lone hosta in the corner - I also planted a clematis this year but you can't see it in this picture. It is on this side of the a/c. This part of the house gets a lot of sun so everything needs to be hardy and happy in the sun. I hope the clematis lives in the clay soil.
And back up to the deck - I must get up from the computer and go spend my paycheck on mulch!
Oh - I just can't resist - for those of you who work with me in Indy you may know these two. They were helping orient some new associates. These are two of my favorite people but, oh my goodness, they could have disguised the geek a little bit! There are so many titles I can think of for this picture I will just have to walk away.

No comments: