Saturday, September 10, 2011

Into Bhutan opening evening September 3, 2011

The last of the opening pictures! Those of you who know me should be aware that I now have a new camera and that there may be quite a variation in the quality of my pictures while I am learning. It is an Olympus XZ-1 and I purchased it with the thought that it will minimize the impact of the essential tremor on my pictures. It is not the traditional 'point and shoot' but has many features, most of which I get very confused at times. I am studying and learning but, meanwhile - hard to tell what I will be posting here! Fortunately, I met the wonderful man in Nancy's life, Dick! He does know cameras and has sent me some of his pictures and saved the day (or blog). He is my new hero - and here he is!
Photobucket
Thanks, Dick!

Meanwhile, back to the opening...
Photobucket
Arjia Rinpoche has given Cecily and Nancy kata as a token of gratitude for the exhibit they brought to the TMBCC to share with the community.
So - what is a kata and why is it so cool? Here is a bit of information that I pieced together with Marietta this morning - Marietta had the misfortune to be manning the phones at the Tibetan Center when I called this morning about the kata:
Offering a white scarf--called a kata--is an ancient Tibetan tradition. The color symbolizes purity of intention and aspiration. An ancient Tibetan adage says that giving and receiving go hand in hand, like breathing in and breathing out--it is an a universal karmic principle that the more you give, the more you receive, which should not necessarily be understood in material terms only.

There was something for almost everyone that evening - pictures from the fashion show of Tibetan and Mongolian garments. Very nicely organized in a professional manner by Lynne - you can see her at the microphone in some of the pictures. They had quite a rack of clothing in the back and were changing quickly - these are just a few of the models:
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
And the final walk of all the models together
Photobucket
Very wonderful food served in the Cultural Center kitchen - thanks go to Lisa who arranged all of it and is also the Center Marketing Director. This picture was taken during the set up. I didn't get a picture of all of the tasty dishes. Mostly because I was hungry and I was eating!
Photobucket
Lots to look at
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Lisa with Cecily and Nancy - another good shot by Dick!
Photobucket
Steve hypnotizing George and Deb.....well - not really.
Photobucket
The monks favored us with singing/chanting, very melodius and it feels very soothing to me. I don't understand the words without the book but they way they do it is just....soothing.
Photobucket
Cecily, Nancy, Steve, and Mariam - all from Chicago .... and this is The End.
Photobucket

No comments: