Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Sanserveria flowering!

This doesn't happen often. And only happens when the Sanserveria (aka Snake Plant, Mother in Law's tongue) is really really happy with where he/she is living.
Photobucket
Most plant growers think this plant likes low light but it doesn't. It will tolerate low light and won't die but it would prefer bright indirect light. A little sun in the early spring mornings is also appreciated.
Photobucket
I took her outside today to give her a good bath with the hose and watering and found she has sprouted a stem that has flower buds on it.
I got her from a nursery when I was living in Reno, I was trying to get something green in the desert! She was a little plant then - maybe 6-8" tall. However, she has grown - she especially liked living in Valdosta, GA, where she could sit out on the screened in porch most of the year.
She's big now - too big to move much
PhotobucketPhotobucket
And bringing her back inside with a pot full of water is hard! I will take more pictures when she flowers - it's not a really good looking flower, kind of scraggly with lots of sappy stuff. But I am glad to know she is happy where she is living now.

No comments: