Thursday, June 25, 2009

Life on the desert

Welcome to the Sonora Desert! Where my friends, Bob and Debbie, live. Neither know why they are here but they've been here for a long time.....since at least 1981 so they are certified desert-rats and some of my dearest friends. I am showing Debbie how to write blog post and she said I was one of their dearest friends, too, so I thought I would document that here. They can't go back on it now! It's on the Internet so it must be true - right?

It actually rained a little this morning - the first rain they have had in months...it was fast, a few drops, then over, but we enjoyed it. Deb and I are out on the back porch this morning admiring the clouds - we had just gotten up so weren't our usual gorgeous selves, yet.

Back inside for breakfast! I contributed my recipe for the breakfast eggs...Bob has been raising his garden (you can see the pictures of him standing in his garden in a previous post) and he has 2 tomatos to contribute. Only 2? Well, apparently there are tiny little birds here that can get through the holes in the net that he spreads over his plants to keep them out and they poke little holes in the tomatos and suck out the juice! He has saved these two for today. He is very proud of his tomato as you can see below:

We very carefully split that tomato 3 ways!!! It was delish! Bob is quite the farmer, in a small way, perhaps, but still quite the farmer. Now he needs to brush up on his bird shooting skills!

Bob has incredible talents --- one of which is a mechanical and technical aptitude as well as an innate ability to puzzle through problems to a solution. I always say that it must be inherited - his ability to 'fix' things is definitely far above the average bear!

He is a collector of antique cars --- I don't think that's really a good description because I remember those cars when they were new! But apparently that is what they are called now - perhaps 'classic' is a better word! That describes Bob, Debbie, and I, a little better.

Anyway, below is my favorite car in the whole world - a '65 mustang!! Bob has lots of cars, can't tell you how many populate this strip of desert but perhaps I will log them all here. He has 'plans' to restore them all. But what a car this is! By the way - most of you have seen pictures of the Eskimo village I used to live in ---- this is it's opposite but still the same - --- you never throw anything away you might be able to use. Living in the desert means there is not ready access to parts to repair and restore things! Bob has a signficiant talent in keeping things he might need some day!

We have more pictures but will end this here for right now --- Deb, Bob, and I have been out on the desert collecting cactus seeds to start a desert garden in the window at work.

No comments: