Sunday, May 31, 2009

Beautiful Day - more work on my yard!

Lots and lots more work on my yard. I dug holes (in clay soil, mind you) yesterday for 2 Russian Sages, 7 hostas, 1 Pampas grass, 1 Clematis, and 1 Black Eyed Susan. Then toted all of that clay dirt in a bucket back to the woods and dumped it. My hunt for Korean Spice Viburnum hasn't paid off so maybe I will need to order that next year.


Off to pick up top soil and horse poop at Patty's (that's a phrase that flows - horse poop at Patty's) to make a mixture that my plants will love.


Here are some 'before' pictures - I hope they look different than the 'after' pictures!


The hostas are all going along the tree line in my back yard to keep the humongus poison ivy crop at bay. At least that is the theory. I have an overflowing Lilly of the Valley bet and will transplant some of them in front of the hostas to help stem the tide of the ivy as well.



I think I've mentioned how much I hate that box o' wood fence my neighbors put in last year. I think I'll be mentioning it many many times until I make it disappear by planting many many plants in front of it. I have put in 4 coin grasses and want the Korean Spice to go between them. Then I think a row of Russian sage at the bottom of the fence on the side facing my house will do the trick.



I will plant the Korean Spice closer to my (very nicely done) fence to create some depth and distance. Or at least that is my hope.

I am putting the Pampas grass on the other wall o' fence on the other side to the left of the green box (what the heck is that thing, anyway?) about 7 ft to the left. I am also putting in a little plot to the right of the daylillies for my sweet grass, lavender, basil, and chives. Of course, it will need to be fenced off from Rocky's 'attentions'. The wall o' fence doesn't bother me as much - I guess because it was there when I bought the house and the couple living there are very nice.

The Clematis will go on a trellis right between the two windows. I am hoping it lives - I've never raised it before. The Black Eye'd Susan will go to the right of the A/C - I had one there but it didn't make it through the winter for some odd reason - the others did! I am looking for a white fence to go around the A/C. The trellis will go in front of the hose spigot and I will move the hose holder to the right of that.


THEN - except for the Korean Spice bushes - I think I am done with the backyard until year after next. Although I always think I will take a year off but then always think of some more to plant.

One last picture of the front - I am not doing anything there except for replacing the white stone with black border. But that will be a chore! If I just get some of it pounded in before my vacation day tomorrow is over I will be happy.

Otherwise - the daylillies and hostas I planted a couple of years ago are looking good and thriving!

No comments: