Sunday, April 26, 2009

Our Victory Garden!


The above is the final shot of all of our labor on Thursday. In the spirit of making sure we are doing our best with our resources, we eschewed planting flowers and focused on raising vegetables (that wouldn't surprise any of you who knew us - we like to eat and we have some darn fine cooks). We have high hopes and left work Friday afternoon after anxiously checking our plantings, breathing CO2 on them, and hoping for the best come Monday morning. I wonder if we will have sprouts peeping out to see us come back to work. Fragilia was going to come in this weekend to check on her new babies!

The little flags with our names on them are courtesy of Fragilia who was the Mom of the operation. I donated the seed kits that included a pot, seeds, and dirt! All for $1 each at good old Target - yes, they really grow.

Kathy is still in classroom orientation but we started her a pot because we thought she might like to have yet one more thing to worry about when she begins her unit orientation!



And below is our workspace! Those lateral files sure do come in handy for a lot of things. It is also our buffet table. Tina is planting her seeds and Yolonda was enjoying watching. Tina gave me the little ducky watering can some weeks ago. It doesn't have a hole in the top so the water can't splash out as I carry it. It has a hole in it's bottom. Thank you, again, Tina! You have saved a lot of people and things from getting accidentally splashed!

Anthony is giving a lot of serious attention to his planting. Oregano I think it was.
You can see the little pots lined up to the left of Anthony. They are waiting for their 'forever' home!

Bonani is getting ready to plant hers. Joe and I are in the background. When I feel like I just really have to 'supervise' someone, Joe will usually gracefully allow me to do that. It's good for my self esteem that they let me maintain the illusion that I am in charge.

Bonani is holding up the little disc of dirt that comes with the kit. Add water and it grows!


That's all for now! Think good thoughts for our plantings! With any luck we will have Basil, Chives, Oregano, Tomatoes, 1 Sunflower, 1 Zenia, and 1 Marigold. I don't know if you can eat a Zenia but you can eat the rest! Yes, Anthony and I were looking up the herbal properties of Marigolds.
Check back to see how our Victory Garden is growing!

No comments: